Thursday 27 August 2009

Calling all Culture Vultures


Bob and Roberta Smith Blocks - Tate

If you've been following you'll know that my kids love art. We have a wonderful museum in Montpellier which runs art courses for adults and children all year round, including school holidays. Dylan and Savannah went on the Emil Nolde course at Easter culminating in a huge chalk fresque, mostly drawn by Dylan in the heart of the city. I love to see my children at ease in art galleries and museums. Savannah's very receptive to this environment in particular.

If you're looking for new ideas for gifts and are short of inspiration, why not shop in online museum and gallery stores? I always find unusual birthday and Christmas presents at the Tate, the V&A, the Design Museum and MoMA, but there are so many other great addresses across the globe. I intended to show you a few of my favourite objects from museums and galleries in Great Britain, before searching in other places across Europe and elsewhere. However, I've been pipped to the post - a group of four men in the UK have also seen the potential in this museum market and recently created an online culture lover's dream called CultureLabel. This has to be one of my best finds in 2009.

The new CultureLabel website aims to bring together over 20,000 culture-related products curated from museums, galleries and cultural institutions in Great Britain. These four cultural entrepreneurs plan to trawl the rest of the world in the future. What can I say? A culture shoppers dream, thousands of amazing, original, artist-designed products and a chance to visit - at least virtually- hitherto unknown places such as Baltic, the Royal Armouries (fantastic place) and the Lighthouse all via one platform. I love it!!!
Spread the word, but before you take a peek, please be warned, time flies when you're on this site, there's so much to discover!


Iggy Peck, Architect, - IKON


What's inside - by Hazell Nicholls - Keep Calm Gallery

Build a Taxi Kit - Museum of London


London in a Bag - Museum of London



Wake Me-Up Tube Stickers - Museum of London



Clifford Richards Fairy Wings - the V&A


Milko C Backpack - The Lighthouse
History Timeline Lunchbox - English Heritage


My Sweet Dog -Baltic


Samourai Magnetic Armor set - Royal Armouries


Making Stuff for Kids - The Lighthouse



4 comments:

  1. Beautiful picture of your daughter..a real student in the making..I shall follow up the links thankyou...
    I love the atmosphere of all gallerys and museums and I have noticed they are getting better and better at involving children and making the exhibitions interactive and a whole lot more exciting.
    Hope you are having a lovely week.
    Hugs Lynn xxxx
    Ps yep the cushions will be winging their way to my for sale page in a month or so after my holsxxxxxxthankyou for your lovely comments xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited that you've discovered my book, IGGY PECK, ARCHITECT. Great Website, BTW!

    All my best,
    Andrea Beaty

    www.AndreaBeaty.com
    www.ThreeSillyChicks.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. The london in a bag blocks are great. Love 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! Yes, Deb - this is absolutely amazing!! What a fabulous idea + what a great find. thanks for sharing this :) K

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts so please leave me a message and brighten up my day. Merci!