Wednesday 20 July 2011

Give Me Three #37





Life is serious enough so why not add a bit of silliness to one's day!

Maddie Harris's colourful sound objects made me smile this morning. Handcrafted using processes such as metal spinning and powder coating, they are designed to be held and explored; blowing into them causes them to emit an unexpected and sometimes 'silly' sound. What fun! I'd love to have a go with my kids, wouldn't you?


A trained silversmith/jewellery maker, Maddie's new product designs were inspired by music, musical instruments, sea life, cells, microorganisms and toys. 

 If you live in England, and are interested in finding out more about Maddie's work, she will be exhibiting at a new show entitled 'The Art of Child's Play', at New Brewery Arts in Gloucestershire (23 July - 4th of September). This exhibition brings together some of my favourite artists and makers - Donna Wilson, Jennifer Collier, Gillian Lee, Samantha Bryan - and has pointed me in the direction of fresh talent such as recent graduate Caroline Brown, whose contemporary take on needlefelting (felt, plaster & porcelain) is both beautiful and intriguing. 



Definitely a date for your Summer diaries, if you're lucky enough to be in that neck of the woods...


1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts so please leave me a message and brighten up my day. Merci!